Friday, September 23, 2011

"F" is for Friday, and Fighting over Finances- Day 9

Maybe I shouldn't say fighting, but the Coach and I had a heated discussion last night about finances.

Any of you read or listen to Dave Ramsey? Coach had me read Dave's book, A Total Money Makeover before we got married. I thought it was a great book, and I agreed with most everything in it. The keyword being "most."

Coach and I have a very realistic budget that we adhere to each month, and we are well on our way to being debt free. That being said, we also don't own a home, we currently rent. We are both ready to be out of our current rental situation and into a home that is ours. That has storage space, a garage, plenty of kitchen cabinets, a walk in closet and a laundry room. However, we differ in opinion on when in our journey to becoming debt free we should look to purchase a home. I won't go into what each of us thinks, because my point  is not to argue sides. I have a few points-

A.) I can completely see why money is the leading cause for divorce
B.) Money is a topic that two people considering getting married should discuss at length. Including how much you feel is an appropriate amount of savings to maintain, and how to determine who is the one who gets the new car when both of yours are on the fritz.
C.) Even if you talked about these things, you will still have discussions (maybe even fights) over finances.

The bottom line is we both want the same things, it's just coming to common ground on when we can/should have those things. We made a few compromises last night and that is one of the reasons I love him so much. We listen to each other, respect each other's ideas and opinions, are not afraid to hold each other's feet to the fire when needed, and are willing to compromise to reach a common goal.

Do you and the person with whom you share your bank account ever disagree on finances? (I know you do!) How to you reach common ground?

I can tell you one thing, I am ready for a cocktail! Lucky for me I am having one of my bff's over for happy hour at my house after work today! Can't wait to get home and hear the clink of ice in my glass!

Cheers,

REM

No comments:

Post a Comment