Thursday, October 27, 2011

13.1

If you had told me three years ago that I would be able to run 13.1 miles, much less enjoy it, I would have said you have downright lost your mind.

But my running partner (and one of my best friends) Karah and I went down to the little fishing town of Apalachicola this past weekend, and early Sunday morning we ran our first half marathon, The Apalachicola Running for the Bay Marathon.

A good luck basket of goodies from my sweet husband!

Krysti, (who is Karah's sister) Karah and I rode down to the coast (which took not quite 2 hours) in  Krysti's jeep with the top down. It was such a nice drive! The weather was fantastic and we rocked out to great music the whole way down.


We stayed at the Apalachicola River Inn on the second floor overlooking the bay. It was really a fantastic view! That evening we had a few drinks and a delicious dinner at Tamara's, listened to some live music downtown at the blues festival, then Karah and I called it an early night and walked back to our room to get some good rest before the big race the next morning.


That bridge in the background is the one we ran across and back for the race, The Gorrie Bridge
  We got up at 6:00am Sunday morning and got on our warm running clothes since it was a chilly 56 degrees. Armed with our iPods, we tracked across the street to the starting line at about 6:45 and stretched really good while we waited for the 7:15 race to begin.

I hope I never forget the feeling I had watching the sun rise over the gulf while running across the Gorrie Bridge that connects Apalachicola to Eastpoint. It was so moving, and the whole way across and back I thanked God that I had legs to run, eyes to see the sunrise, and breath to breathe in the salty ocean air.


I also have to add that a lot of my motivation and adrenaline came from the OUT OF THIS WORLD play list I created on my iPod. Music really motivates me, and I get really bored with repetitive songs, so I took careful consideration when arranging this play list for the big run.

One of my friends, Kristin, suggested I check out GirlTalk, a mash up DJ who combines songs everyone loves. She sent me a link to download for free. I am skeptical of anything that you can download for free, but I have to tell you, it did not disappoint. The beat is incredible and it kept me pumped up all the way until the finish line, and I think I even could have kept on going! So shout out to Kristin for the phenomenal suggestion!
 

Coming to the end of the bridge, I spotted my mom down on the ground taking pictures. I waved so she would know it was me!

Almost done! This was the final down hill section of the bridge.





Coming in strong for the finish!



Done! Ah it felt so fantastic to cross that finish line!


Miss Morgan was there to cheer me on across the finish! So glad she told me about this run and glad we both finished it!

Karah coming down hill off the bridge


And Karah crossing the finish! Way to go girl!

Me with two of the girls who were bridesmaids in my wedding!


My running buddy Karah

We did it! 13.1!

I ran 13.1 miles in 2:30:03, which was a pace of 11:28 per mile. I finished 16th in my age division and 136 overall. I am so proud of Karah and myself for accomplishing this goal!

Now what's next??? We have decided to work on our time, and try to be at least 10 minutes faster by the next Springtime Tallahassee 10k, which is usually sometime in April. Personally, I would love be running a 9 minute mile by then!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment